By Megan Child
Take a minute to yourself to sit down and enjoy a cup of green tea and relax. It has a natural chemical called theanine that produces a calming effect. That is one of the very many health benefits that this super drink has to offer. It has caught the eye of many researchers who have done studies on people and animals to prove the benefits. So far, the studies show that the greatest health benefits are due to the antioxidants in green tea. Below is a short overview of a handful of the health benefits that have been proven and are still being researched.
- Lowers total cholesterol and raises good (HDL) cholesterol
- Helps protect against cancer and some researchers believe it can kill cancerous cells and keep them from forming
- Controlling blood sugar levels in people with diabetes
- May aid in weight loss by increasing your metabolism to burn more fat
- Blocks the formation of plaques that are related to Alzheimer’s disease
- Improve oral health by decreasing the amount of bacteria (also can fight bad breath!)
A few recommendations while you sip
- Don’t make you’re green tea in boiling water. It can break down the healthy chemicals (catechins). Use a temperature between 160-170 degrees.
- Add a lemon to add flavor and help absorb all the goodness! Side note: don’t add dairy as it does the opposite effect
- It is recommended that you drink 2 to 3 cups per day for maximum benefits
As you can see, by making the choice to add green tea to your life you would also be making the choice to better your life and your health. You should also make sure to have a well-balanced diet, exercise and take care of yourself physically and emotionally along with sipping on some green tea!